The Water Institute of the Gulf is a not-for-profit, independent applied research institute headquartered in Baton Rouge, Louisiana dedicated to providing advanced understanding and technical expertise to support management of coastal, deltaic and water systems, within Louisiana, the Gulf Coast and around the world. Our mission supports the practical application of innovative science and engineering, providing solutions that benefit society. Through an integrated and interdisciplinary approach, our work helps create more resilient communities, thriving economies, and healthy environment.
Our research spans a variety of specialties from applied engineering to numerical modeling to human dimensions to ecology to geology. We partner with local, state, and federal government agencies, universities, NGOs, and other researchers to provide independent, creative applied science solutions to tackle the most difficult problems that communities and ecosystems face. Our team is always learning from each other and pushing the boundaries of what’s possible. It’s important to us that the data, analysis, and model output that we produce can be discovered and utilized by researchers and practitioners.
The Institute is seeking applicants for a Research Scientist focused on Decision Analysis, reporting to the Director of Planning and Policy Research. We are specifically seeking outstanding applicants with a background in decision analysis, statistics, applied mathematics, and/or decision making under uncertainty. The ideal candidate will have experience developing and applying methods for decision making under deep uncertainty (DMDU) such as Robust Decision Making or Dynamic Adaptive Policy Pathways. The Institute works closely with a range of technical and non-technical clients, stakeholders, and communities, so this position will also entail working directly with stakeholders in participatory settings to support planning and decision analysis efforts.
The Institute is headquartered in Louisiana, but we prefer candidates working from either Pittsburgh, New Orleans, or Baton Rouge.
The duties of this position will include, but not be limited to:
- Design and conduct decision analysis using quantitative and qualitative methods
- Collaborate with natural and social scientists, planners, and other researchers in the Institute to apply and advance integrated decision support methods
- Propose and develop technical solutions to meet project needs
- Conduct various research tasks including code development and customization
- Develop written technical reports for client needs
- Write technical papers and journal articles and present research at meetings, workshops, and technical conferences
- Prepare and contribute to written proposals
- Engage with clients and stakeholders in meetings, workshops, and other settings
- Other duties as assigned.
Required qualifications include:
- Ph.D. in decision sciences, policy analysis, engineering, applied mathematics, or related field
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to work effectively in multi-disciplinary team settings
- Programming experience in Python, R, C/C++, MatLab, or similar.
Desired qualifications include:
- Experience conducting statistical analysis and developing visualizations with Tableau, R, Python, or similar
- Experience using machine learning (ML) methods and applications
- Experience applying DMDU tools (Rhodium, EMA Workbench)
- Experience utilizing high performance computing and Linux based systems
- Familiarity with GIS software
- Familiarity with hydrologic and hydraulic models, including SWMM, PCSWMM, XPSWMM, InfoWorks, or similar.
The successful candidate will be a self-motivated, results-driven professional with sound judgment, excellent interpersonal skills, and the flexibility to adjust to changing priorities in a demanding, fast-paced environment. The Institute expects to offer a competitive salary and benefits commensurate with a candidate’s skills and experience. This is a full-time exempt position.
For more information and to apply: https://bit.ly/3zaMUpm