TU Delft has an opening for a postdoctoral research fellow at the intersection of social simulation and high-performance algorithms. The goal of project is to develop methods to speed large-scale agent-based modelling (ABMs), for example by means of effective parallelization using High Performance Computing (HPC). The use of machine learning for efficient ABM simulations will enable uncertainty and global sensitivity analysis of large ensembles of ABM runs. The postdoc will use the HPC cluster newly established at TU Delft in 2021.
The successful candidate will work closely with faculty members at the TU Delft faculties of Technology, Policy and Management, and Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science. Working with Prof Tatiana Filatova, Dr Jan Kwakkel and Dr Neil Yorke-Smith, the candidate will study how theory-informed meta-modelling and learned surrogate models can accelerate agent-based models.
This two-year position as a part of the EU project TAILOR (Foundations of Trustworthy AI, Integrating Reasoning, Learning and Optimization, tailor-network.eu) in conjunction with the TU Delft Institute for Computational Science and Engineering (DCSE, tudelft.nl/cse). The TAILOR network is funded by the European Union to build the capacity of the scientific foundations for trustworthy AI in Europe, by developing a network of research excellence centres leveraging and combining learning, optimization and reasoning. The successful candidate will have access to the TAILOR network, including travel and mobility funds.
DCSE is a TU Delft Institute with faculty members from six faculties, comprising some 40 research groups and more than 300 faculty members. Among its computational facilities, TU Delft possesses a new 2 petaflop supercomputer, in addition to access to Dutch national computing resources.
The position is offered for a fixed term of two years starting no later than 1 April 2022.
The ideal candidate is expected to:
- Have a PhD degree in Computer Science or other computational subject; or in social science with strong computational experience;
- Have a background in agent-based modelling, artificial intelligence or high-performance computing;
- Possess working knowledge of Python and demonstrated programming experience;
- Conduct international-level research, with a track record of prior publication in top international venues;
- Have full professional working fluency in English;
- Experience with machine learning toolkits is desired;
- Previous experience with HPC is an advantage.
For more information and to apply: https://www.tudelft.nl/over-tu-delft/werken-bij-tu-delft/vacatures/details?jobId=4690&jobTitle=Postdoc%20High-Performance%20Social%20Simulation